4. Direct Connection through HTTP Tunnel
This section describes how to setup HTTP Tunnel connection in Store Manager for VirtueMart.
HTTP tunnel is an alternative way of connecting to your database which possesses the advantages of both direct and bridge connection.
This type of connection is useful if you don’t have direct access to MySQL database. Also, you don’t need to do POST \ GET operations to synchronize data with your store, all changes will be reflected in real-time.
To configure HTTP Tunnel connection, follow a few steps listed below:
1. Open your application main directory - usually it is "C:\Program Files\eMagicOne\Store Manager for VirtueMart" and find directory "Service" there. Inside this directory you can find sm_tunnel.php file.
2. Copy sm_tunnel.php file to your online store root (catalog) directory via FTP.
Tunnel should be accessible from web as here - http://www.onlinestore.com/sm_tunnel.php whereas http://www.onlinestore.com is your store URL.
If you uploaded file correctly, you will receive the message - “Tunnel script is installed correctly. You can establish connections through the HTTP tunnel.”
3. Open your store root folder -> configuration.php file.
Find there the following lines - public $host = 'servername.com'; //If any is defined here (like 'http://www.servername.com'), you should use the one (servername.com).
If it is defined as 'localhost', it means you should use your store name.
public $user = 'username'; //your User Name (login) is defined here
public $password = 'password'; //your password is defined here
public $db = 'remote_database_name'; //your database name is defined here
In your Store Manager open Preferences -> and choose button:
4. Create new configuration and then put the name of the configuration.
5.Next check checkbox - Direct connection through HTTP Tunnel.
6. Specify Remote Database Connection Settings:
- Tunnel address - Specify tunnel address, it should look like http://www.onlinestore.com/sm_tunnel.php where - http://www.onlinestore.com is your store URL.
- Port - 3306 is used in most cases (please ask your hosting provider to check if the one is used)
- Host, Username (login), Password and Database (name) - specify your hostname, database username, password, and database name, which you have found at your global.inc.php file.You may type database name manually or use browse button named 'Select Database' to see the list of available databases and select the one you need from the drop-down.
7. Use the Test Connection button to verify if all settings are correct and connection to your remote database is possible.
8. Click 'OK' to save this entry, close Preferences to connect to your database, or click cancel to discard this entry.